R. Parrish Freeman
Mr. Freeman’s practice is focused on intellectual property litigation and enforcement including patent, trademark, and copyright infringement actions as well as trade secret, unfair competition, and Internet domain name (UDRP) disputes.
Mr. Freeman has litigated patent cases relating to a wide range of technologies, including computer software, hardware, data storage and networking; telecommunications; heavy machinery; biodegradable plastics and cleaners; polymer chemistry; synthetic fuels; graphite applications; vending machines and video games; and large-scale recycling facilities.
Mr. Freeman’s trademark litigation and enforcement experience includes the fields of health and fitness equipment; nutritional supplements; infant formula; home electronics; and entertainment and professional services.
Mr. Freeman has helped several clients develop and implement a global trademark enforcement strategy to address cybersquatting and other Internet domain name misuse, and has successfully forced domain name transfers in over twenty-five UDRP proceedings.
Mr. Freeman’s experience also includes lecturing on such subjects as electronic discovery, Federal Circuit case law, and Internet domain name disputes
Highlights, Experience & Education
Primary Practice Focus
- Complex IP Litigation, Inter Partes Conflicts & Mediation and Arbitration
- Patent Infringement, U. S. and Europe
- Trademark Infringement
- U.S. Trademark Oppositions and Cancellations (TTAB)
- Domain Name Disputes (UDRP)
- Copyright Infringement
- Trade Dress Infringement
- Misappropriation of Trade Secrets
- Breach of Contract
- Unfair Business Practices
- Actions Before the International Trade Commission
Other Practice Experience
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) Take-Down Notice Procedures
- Computer Fraud and Abuse Act Litigation (relating to hacking and other unauthorized access)
- Federal Trade Commission Act Litigation (relating to spam, spyware and other malware)
- ANDA Pharmaceutical Patent Litigation Under The Hatch-Waxman Act
- Employment Agreements & Invention Ownership Licensing, Other Transactional Work & Client Counseling
- U. S. and Foreign Licensing of Intellectual Property Rights, Including Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights, Trade Secrets, and Know How
- Non-Competition Covenants
- Non-Disclosure Agreements
- Assignments of Intellectual Property Rights
- Patentability Opinions
- Trademark Searches and Clearance Opinions
- Patent Infringement Opinions
- Due Diligence Investigations of IP Portfolios During Acquisition or Merger Transactions
- Defensive Opinions of Non-infringement and Opinions of Non-infringement and Design Around Strategies
- Pharmaceutical, Chemical, Biotechnology & Life Sciences
- Energy and Fuel Technologies
- Material Sciences
- Mechanics & Mechanical Engineering
- Medical and Dental Devices
- Exercise & Training Equipment
- Sports Equipment
- Manufacturing Equipment
- Computer Systems, Software, E-Commerce, Business Methods & Information Technology
- Hardware Systems
- Software Systems and Architecture
Professional Accomplishments of Note
- Free Motion Fitness, Inc. v. Cybex Int’l, Inc., 423 F.3d 1343 (Fed. Cir. 2005) (vacating grant of summary judgment of noninfringement).
- Biotec Biologische Naturverpackungen GmbH & Co. KG v. Biocorp, Inc., 249 F.3d 1341 (Fed. Cir. 2001) (affirming jury verdict of infringement).
- EMC Corp. v. Columbia Data Products, Inc., No. 2:01-CV-00312 (D. Utah Aug. 13, 2004) (ruling on summary judgment against invalidity, against CDP’s counterclaims, and in part for literal infringement).
- Seiko Epson Corporation and Epson America, Inc. v AOS Web Com, FA0610000823033 (Nat’l Arb. Forum November 27, 2006) (forcing transfer of domain name from internet ink seller to Epson America, Inc.).
- Hennessy Industries, Inc. v. Private Whois Service c/o ammco.com, FA 1360143 (Nat’l Arb. Forum Jan. 17, 2011) (forcing transfer of domain name from cybersquatter to client)
- J.D., Campbell University School of Law, 1996
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chemistry, 1991
Professional Admissions and Associations
- Utah State Bar
- Tennessee State Bar
- Registered Patent Attorney
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- American Bar Association